CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The One Right Answer

So, once upon a time, there was this cat. And the cat lived happily in a bag. Until one day, that cat got out of his bag, spied his opening and started running.

Last time I saw him, that cat's was merging onto an eight-lane superhighway, in the H.O.V. lane at about 90 mph.

Yes, the secret's out, and word spread about that fast. Pretty much the entire world knows I'm pregnant now. Which is nice, because I don't have to make excuses about being crabby, or why I'm not drinking, or anything like that. And to be fair, The Hubs and I are incredibly lucky to be blessed with family and friends who are supportive of us, and therefore are thrilled by the big news.

Honestly, I think I'll be more thrilled when I feel better. Right now, this whole pregnancy thing can kiss my ass. I feel lousy all day long - at times I wish I WOULD throw up - I think I'd feel better than I do now, just dragging with this all-day gaggy, urpy feeling. And I'm tired. Bone-crushing tired, which I hate. I HATE being the girl who is too tired to go do something, because it's not who I am. And crabby? I have the patience of a fruit fly, and I keep trying to explain to people that I'd really rather be left alone. I don't think this is a difficult request, nor do I think it's easily confuse-able with "let me get in your face, fuss all over you and ask you 9,000 more questions."

And THEN I feel like a horrible ingrate, because they're just being nice, and I shouldn't be so crabby towards people who are just being nice, right?

Anyway, now that this cat's out of the bag and off on the superhighway somewhere, I've learned a few things:

1. EVERYONE has a pregnancy story. And they can't WAIT to share it with you.
2. EVERYONE swears that I will suddenly wake up one day and just "looove being pregnant!"
3. No matter what you do, it's wrong.

Number three I find the worst of all the offenses. Allow me to count the ways that I've been told I'l be a less-than-stellar mom:

1. How many kids we want. The fact that The Hubs and I only want one child. It's something we've been in agreement with for years. I grew up an only child, and LOVED being an only. I like to think I turned out okay, so I'm a little bitter when people tell me it could/will "ruin" my baby. Look, I would never, EVER judge anyone for their decision to have and raise babies. One, two, five, or the Duggar family - it's an intensely personal decision, and it's for each individual family to decide what's best for them. Not anyone else -- well-intentioned relatives included.

2. Breast vs. bottle feeding. Ok, I've been on the Internet before. I know that this is one of the biggest hot-button topics on earth, and can incite fury in just about anyone, because feelings can run so strongly. I'd like to start again by saying, I would never, EVER judge anyone for their decision either way. I also realize that I'm 9 weeks pregnant and may in fact, change my mind. But if I'm being completely honest with myself (which I've forced myself to be), the harsh, ugly truth of the matter is that I don't want to breast feed. Despite everything I've read, the thought just honestly doesn't hold a lot of (you can read that as ANY) appeal to me. And I feel guilty about that, I think largely in part because of everything I've read. Is this totally bad? Am I selfish?

3. SAHM vs. Working Mom. Look, I would LOVE to be a SAHM, at least until the baby is old enough to go to kindergarten. I would. But let's be realistic. While The Hubs and I are in a decent place financially (we absolutely can't do everything we want, and some months it's really ugly, but all our basic needs are comfortably met), it's because we both work. I worry about having another little person to support. However, I'm also a realist - I refuse to work to pay for daycare. If it's going to be that much of my pay (I have no clue what childcare costs. None.), then I'll just stay home until I figure something else out (work part-time, find another job, etc.). Unless you're going to either foot my day-care bill, or supplement my living expenses so I can stay home, it's absolutely none of your business.

4. Natural Childbirth vs. Meds. To all the ladies out there who had natural, unassisted childbirths: My hat is off to you. You're all far stronger women than I could ever hope to be. Seriously? I know this is my first kid, but I am a sissy. I know this about myself. I want pain management.

5. Finding out the sex of the baby. Why wouldn't I take advantage of technology? If YOU don't want to know what I plan to do, then don't ask. And is it wrong already that when people ask me "do you want to find out what you're having?" and I say "yes, we'd like to find out the sex of the baby" (because I already "know what I'm having" - I'm having a BABY!), and their response is "why? Then there's no surprises left!" that I want to punch them? I managed thus far to smile politely and tell them, well, I'll just be surprised at the doctor's office, now, won't I?

The One (And Apparently Only) Question I Have Answered Correctly To Date:

Yes, I quit smoking.


Okay mommy-bloggers - am I being unreasonable? Excessively hormonal? Am I normal? How do I handle this? I have 31 more weeks to go, and I'm going to lose my mind if I don't get some serious "real world" advice!!

8 comments:

Swistle said...

Most of those questions, ALL the answers are wrong. Number of kids, for example: I can tell you from personal experience that having 1 child, 2 children, 4 children, or 5 children are ALL wrong. EVERYONE gets crap about their family-size choice; it's just a matter of what TYPE of crap you have to listen to.

The working/at-home question: both answers are wrong. Also wrong: doing a combination. ALL WRONG. You can't win.

Finding out the sex of the baby: whichever option you choose, the people who disagree will speak up. No winning on this one, either.

Natural/medicated labor: whichever option you choose, the people who disagree will speak up. No winning on this one, either.

So the answer, as far as I'm concerned, is to realize that we ALL get crap about our choices. Changing your answers wouldn't help. I find this comforting: if I changed all my answers to make Person A happy, Person B would now be unhappy with them.

Constance 37 said...

@switstle: THANK YOU! It's one of those things you inherently know in the back of your head to be true, but just hearing it from someone else just makes it seem more....well, normal!

Erin said...

Don't sweat it. I think MOST people ask questions, share "advice" because people in general want to feel connected to other people. I really don't think most people intend maliciousness by asking questions. I know I don't.

The sooner your resign yourself to the fact that (1) parenting & parenting decisions are difficult no matter who you are, (2) parenting is different for everyone, and (3) everyone doubts their own decisions, especially the important ones, even if they don't let on... then the sooner you'll be able to form bonds with other parents who are not necessarily like you.

I work full-time and my very best friend in the world has always been a SAHM. We have way more in common than we do different.

Oooh boy. Sorry. I feel like I just got on my soapbox. SORRY!

Constance the 14,000th said...

we have a lot in common.

i didn't want to breast feed either. to me it just was not the bonding experience that everyone told me about. i also struggled to produce milk and that was very frustrating. i pumped and fed and pumped and pumped and pumped for the first 6 weeks. i was tired, mad and frustrated. when i stopped and began formula feeding, things improved 100%. we all know that breast milk is best, but it's still your choice and you shouldn't let anyone try to guilt your or make you feel bad. phooey on them!

my mom kept telling me "we couldn't just go and find out if it was a boy or a girl". and my response was always "bummer, it's so cool they have that technology now."

hang in there! i know you hate the advice, but i was very sick in the frost trimester too. and once i was in the 2nd trimester, i felt ALOT better. hope the same is true for you!

Constance the 14,000th said...

ps: and most right answer of all is the answer that is right for you and your baby---not anyone else.

"Constance-1-M" said...

The best thing I was ever told during pregnancy was by an OLD Ob nurse: Stay realistic, expect things NOT to go the way you plan & roll with the punches. (You'll be amazed how true that statement becomes in the next 2 years!!)

You'll never make anyone happy with your pregnancy choices, labor choices or parenting choices ~ do what's right for you & your family - in the long run that's all that matters anyway.

And find out soon what daycare costs in your area (it'll kick drive that vomiting for you!!) I found out at 30 weeks that there were 10 month waiting lists for the DECENT daycares!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
(Don't let my horror scare you, most girls never get MS this badly! I promise!!)

Constance the 32nd said...

Ok, here's what I would say to all those people who are sooooooo smart:
#1-"We are only having 1 kid because I am worried that I would beat the others senseless out of frustration."

#2-"I'm going with a third option no one ever talks about: either starving the kid or feeding him steak and eggs from day one to make a man out of him."

#3-"Either way, I'm being a mom."

#4-"I'll be happy to have a natural childbirth as long as I can knaw on your arm during the excruciating pain."

#5-"I will be surprised if I find out if there's a monkey in there and I can't pass up an opportunity like that. If it's actually a boy or a girl, then oh well."

Can you taste the sarcasm? It's always worked for me. People used to ask me all the time when I was going to have another baby (a few months after my 2nd was born) and I began saying, "The doctors told me that I can't have any more kids and if I do get pregnant, it will be a medical miracle." That pretty much shut them up! Hang in there! =)

Sarah said...

Everyone thinks the way they gave birth/fed their baby/parented their baby was the best. Anytime I talked about birth plans, half the room would chirp up with, "No one's giving out awards for heroism in the labor room- just get an epidural!" The other half would lecture, "Epidurals can lead to the need for pitocin, which is very hard on the baby! Just change your mindset- it's not pain, it's WORK!" And so on. Half my friends were horrified that we supplemented with formula, the other half horrified that I would occasionally breast feed in front of them if my child was hungry and my milk supply was in. There's just no pleasing anyone. Pregnancy and parenthood will teach you to just laugh and shake off other people's opinions, that much is sure.